“Journalism can never be silent: that is its greatest virtue and its greatest fault. It must speak and speak immediately, while the echoes of wonder, the claims of triumph, and the signs of horror are still in the air.”
With Journalism being regarded as the 4th pillar of Democracy, it is indeed a lucrative career option for youth now-a-days. This is evident from the rising trends in colleges and students enrolling for a journalism degree. However, being held as a controversial profession, you must give a proper though before enrolling for a journalism or a mass communication course.
The fundamental job of a Journalist is to clear the chaos created in the minds of people, provide people with adequate information, to work without being bias or dominant.
Journalism acts as a voice that speaks truth to power.
These tools offer the public the ability to keep their leaders in check and accountable for their deeds through effective reporting.
They should support both the teams when it comes to a debate session
They can’t be partial.
They should be capable enough to listen to everyone.
STEPS TO BECOME A JOURNALIST
- GET EDUCATED – To become a journalist, the first and foremost thing required is education. You should provide the right information to the mass. Knowledge of politics also plays a crucial role in a Journalist’s Life.
- STAY UPDATED – If you want to keep up with today’s fast-paced news environment, make sure that you stay updated with all the latest news. To stay on top of the game, you may use the following tips-:
- READ THE NEWS– Subscribe to some good News channels, read articles, and open your mind to diverse opinions, both positive and negative.
- GAIN CONTEXT– Try to reach all possible sites to gain the right context. It helps you to spread the right news to the people around you.
- FOLLOW TRUSTWORTHY PEOPLE ON SOCIAL MEDIA– Twitter is the most appropriate social media to remain updated. Join twitter and follow the politicians, activists, and journalists to gain the right information and updates.
- NETWORK – In this highly competitive world of journalism, try to reach the right crowd. Today, there are many ways to connect to other reporters, be it through mail or social media. Networking is becoming easier day-by-day since the advent of networking platforms like LinkedIn. You can also find more people that share the same interests as you, just register through the following link.
- GOOD COMMUNICATION SKILLS – It is crucial to cultivate good communication skills within yourself to become an Exceptional Journalist. You should be able to talk in front of people without any disruptions. The information which you are trying to convey must be understandable for people.
- BUILD CONFIDENCE – Journalists should be confident enough to speak in front of the camera and masses, confident enough to point out the wrongdoings of Political Parties, whether ruling or opposition. They should not be partial to any of the parties.
- MAKE SURE YOUR RESUME IS IN GREAT SHAPE – Consider the following points-
- Add relevant information about yourself including your fieldwork, experience, survey, and other skills.
- Place your important work on the top like research work and fieldwork.
- Describe your works in an illustrative way.
- Keep it short and simple so that it becomes easy for the interviewer to understand.
Once you are into the field, leave your fear and insecurities behind and let the world see your brilliance.
Let your work speak who you are.
Finally, be humble, stay eager for learning, and always ready to put in your blood and sweat for your work.
The road to Journalism is difficult, but if you are courageous, passionate, and ready to persevere then it’s a worthwhile one.